Yesterday I heard a small business owner saying “My business doesn’t need to bother about GDPR/ Data Protection. I don’t use that sort of personal data. GDPR doesn’t apply to the UK now and I only sell in the UK anyway so I’m OK.”
Really? Let me break this down.
I don’t use that sort of personal data
It’s virtually impossible to run any business which doesn’t involve GDPR/Data Protection (suggestions on a postcard please!). That’s because
- Data Protection is all about protecting how you process personal data.
- Personal data is anything which does or could identify a living individual.
- Processing includes collecting, using and storing that personal data.
By their very definition, businesses sell/give services and or stuff to people. This applies whatever you’re selling and even if you’re giving a free sample. How can you do this without taking and then processing personal data? No name – no invoice – no payment – no sale – no supply- no business.
Taking basic personal information from someone you’re selling to is a fundamental of business practice. You need it to supply what you’re selling. You also need it for your business and tax records. Having someone’s name means that you have their personal data. Even something like an IP number is personal data because it could identify a living individual.
GDPR doesn’t apply to the UK
At its simplest GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) applies to processing personal data of people within the EEA. So if your London based business sells services or products to someone who’s in the EEA – GDPR applies. The same rules apply in the same way as if your business were based in the EEA, say France.
I only sell within the UK anyway
You can’t breathe a sigh of relief even if you’re sure that you will never sell to anyone outside the UK. That’s because the Data Protection Act 2018 applies within the UK and more or less mirrors what the GDPR says.
Need some help with Data Protection?
Did you know that we sell a complete Data Protection Toolkit? The Toolkit is organised into sections so you can choose quickly the areas you want to focus on. It includes:
- Essential Background knowledge -videos and guides which explain what data protection is, why it’s so important for your business, and what your business needs to do and have in place.
- Expert Knowledge and documents written by qualified UK lawyers – legal and practical guides, information and documents written by trained lawyers with practical experience of running businesses. We know what business owners want and need.
- Support -You don’t just get a load of documents with no support. We explain documents with ‘How to’ explainer videos. They take you through the document, explaining each section, step-by-step so you can use the video every time you need to use the document.
Click here to find out more about the Toolkit here
Want to know more about Data Protection?
To read the 3 essential Tips which every business needs, click here. If you’d like to join a Data Protection Webinar please complete the form below: