Website policies? Do I need them?
Let’s face it – getting website policies and legal documents for your website is never going to be anyone’s favourite task. There’s lots of much more exciting stuff to do. Like designing or reviewing your logo and making your website look great. I bet that getting your essential legal documents ready is at the bottom of that list isn’t it? The very bottom.
Getting website documents is a bit like cleaning. It’s something that you know must be done. Most of us would prefer to be doing something (anything!) else, but we also don’t want to face a fine or even worse, lose sales, because our website hasn’t got the right legal documents.
I do my cleaning because I have to. Saturday morning, I roll up my sleeves and go for it. I only use products that do the job and make it as easy as possible (thank you Mrs Hinch recommends. After all, why waste an hour when I can do a good job in 15 minutes with the right stuff to make it easier?
Why have website policies?
They build trust with your visitors. They tell people that you:
- want to be open and transparent about how you do business (Website Terms and Business Terms)
- understand what the law expects of you as a business owner.
What website policies and documents do you need?
Most websites need the following website policies:
- Website user terms which explain how people can use your website. They also protect your content.
- Business Terms and Conditions. These are really important if you sell from your website.
- Acceptable Use Policy. This is really important if you allow users to upload onto your website. Perhaps they can leave reviews or commenst. Can they upload photos or anything to your website (memberships or personalised products).
Make it Easy
That leaves me more time to do the stuff that I like. So we wanted your legal documents experience to be like that. To be able to get what you want to do get an important job done. You can tick something important off your ‘To Do’ list quickly without any fuss and get back to something you enjoy.
It means that our legal template documents are written in plain English so that they work for your business. Our documents come with a video which explains each section, step-by-step. When there’s something we think that you need to know more about, we make sure you get a video that covers it.
Essential website policies and documents?
So what can you tick off your ‘To Do’ list today? How about these four essential legal documents which every website needs?
(4) An Acceptable Use policy which is vital if you allow anyone else to post or upload content, even if it’s only feedback or a review. After all, you don’t want to be chased for breaching someone else’s copyright because a user uploaded something they shouldn’t!
Get them because your website visitors expect to see them. Having them in place shows you mean business. It shows them that you’re a business that values them and their data. They can see that you give them all the information that they need. You’re a business that they can trust. A business that they feel confident buying from.
So, get your website legal documents completed with minimum fuss, even when it’s not your favourite thing.